Monday 12 November 2018

Of Late Nights and Hangovers

It was 4 am. I had a flight to catch at 5.30. With minimal traffic, I could still make it on time. Understandably in a hurry, I rushed out of my apartment, into the lift, and pressed the ground floor button. But as luck would have it, the lift ground to a sudden stop only a few minutes later. 

Affording little time to lose, I pressed the emergency button, as one would do in such a situation. There was no answer. The security guard, it seemed, had had a long night like myself. I reached out to my phone, but as is inside a lift, there was no signal. I tried to calm myself. I could still get out of this situation unscathed. After a few uselessly achieved meditative seconds, I started banging on the lift door. Stupid, I know. But what else could I do? I was only hoping against hope that somebody, on that particular floor, might have come out of their apartment for a 'really early' morning jog. Obviously, there was no answer. Luck seemed to never touch me.I started sweating and feeling nauseous. That's when I remembered, I was claustrophobic as well!

Just as I had started losing hope, I heard somebody yelling back at me at the other end of the door. Bingo! Somebody was awake! From the shrill shrieking, the voice seemed to belong to an old lady who seemed to want to help, but lacked the presence of mind to actually go and call somebody - the security personnel, per se. After what seemed like millennia of back and forth yelling, I passed out, thanks to my claustrophobic self.

After sometime, I came to to the sound of the yells. I was jerked awake, only to find that it was no woman yelling, but the sound of my alarm going off. Whew! It was only a dream. The time on the clock said 3.30 am. I still had time. Heaving a sigh of relief, I woke up and got ready. I rushed out of my apartment, got into the lift and pressed the ground floor button. With only a few minutes to spare, I could still make it on time. No reason to panic. After a few minutes, the lift ground to a standstill. Shit just got real....

8 comments: